Subject: Steps to take to preserve access to network printers
From: "John O'Malley" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:29:19 -0500

AAE and MSE faculty, staff, and grad students,

If you use an ECN-supported Windows PC, may we please ask you to do a
couple steps on your Purdue computer?  If you're logged in now, please
do this before logging off.

(If we helped you already on Thursday to fix your printer connections,
you need not do this procedure.)

1. Click your Start menu and (from the right side of the menu) select
"Devices and Printers."

2. Select and delete any printers with names that end "on vps8" and "on
vps8test".

3. On your desktop, open the "My Computer" icon.  Go into drive U: --
its label will have your username with "\\roger.ecn.purdue.edu" or
"\\materials.ecn.purdue.edu".

4. Go inside your "Personal" folder.

5. Double-click the file "MapNetPrinters-Win7".  (If you're still on a
PC with Windows XP, it's simply "MapNetPrinters".)

A dialog will appear listing the network printers you've been
reconnected to.  You may click the "OK" button.

ECN made a necessary change to the network print server which serves AAE
and MSE -- and if you were on campus today (Thursday, December 19,
2013), you might have had difficulty printing because we failed to get
this info to you in advance.  Please accept our apology!

If you need assistance either completing these steps or reconnecting to
specific network printers, we will be glad to help.  Please either reply
to this message or contact us via https://purdue.edu/ecn/contactus.

Thank you.

-John
-- 
John O'Malley

Site Manager, Engineering Computer Network / Purdue University /
[email-masked]