Subject: Fwd: Invitation to ASM Indianapolis Student Night @ Purdue
From: Kathlene Reeve <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2016 16:16:55 +0000

All,

Below you will find an invitation to the ASM Indianapolis chapter's March
meeting, a student night here at Purdue. The event will be held here in
Armstrong on *Monday, March 21st*, 5:30-8PM.

There will be a graduate and undergraduate student poster contest (*cash
prizes awarded*), a dinner provided by ASM, and a student presentation.

The meeting is free of cost to Purdue students and faculty, and your
attendance is encouraged. *Please see the following link to the RSVP*:

https://purdue.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bdPVRyAP5YpkfJj

If you are a student, graduate or undergraduate, interested in presenting
at the poster competition, please email your title to Logan Kroneman at
[email-masked].

*Deadline for RSVP's and poster titles has been extended to Monday, March
14th.*

Thanks and we hope to see you there!

 Invitation & Event Announcement:

*ASM Indianapolis March Meeting Notice*

*Student Night at Purdue University*

The ASM Indianapolis March 2016 Chapter Meeting will be held this year on
the campus of Purdue University. A Purdue undergraduate and graduate poster
session and social hour will be held prior to dinner, with tours of the
materials engineering departmental labs available. The meeting is provided
free of charge to ASM chapter members and Purdue students. Dinner and
refreshments will be provided by the Indianapolis ASM chapter. The evening
will conclude with a technical presentation by Purdue Ph.D. candidate,
Kathlene Reeve. Please come and join us for this great opportunity for
networking between the Purdue materials engineering school and the ASM
Indianapolis chapter.

*When*: Monday, March 21st, 2016

*Where*: Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering, Purdue University, West
Lafayette, IN

*Subject*: ASM Indianapolis Student Night at Purdue University

*Organized Schedule*:

5:30 pm - 6:15 pm – *Student Poster Session **(Cash prizes to be awarded!)*

6:15 pm – 7:00 pm – Dinner (provided by ASM Indianapolis Chapter)

7:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Student Presentation & Questions

*Please RSVP at (**https://purdue.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bdPVRyAP5YpkfJj*
<https://purdue.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_bdPVRyAP5YpkfJj>*) by Monday,
March 14th, if you wish to attend. *

*If you are a student (undergraduate or graduate) who would like to present
a poster, please submit your poster title to Logan Kroneman (*
[email-masked]* <[email-masked]>*) by Monday, March 14th.*

*(Student presentation abstract and bio attached below.)*

“Heterogeneous Nucleation of β-Sn in Lead-Free Solder Alloys”

Kathlene (Kate) N. Reeve

*Abstract*:

The majority of lead-free solders used by the microelectronics industry
today are Sn-rich alloys, alloys in which the β-Sn phase comprises the
primary constituent of the solidified microstructure. This results in
joints that rely heavily on the properties of β-Sn for overall solder
performance, and it is the solidification of β-Sn from the Sn-rich liquid
that can have profound effects on joint microstructure and mechanical
properties. This presentation will review methods for promotion of β-Sn
phase nucleation in Sn-based alloys. A description of the structure and
properties of β-Sn will be given, along with a discussion of the potential
effects of constitutional supercooling and inoculation methods within
lead-free solders. Finally, current research regarding the heterogeneous
nucleation of common solder intermetallics and of β-Sn during
solidification of aluminum-modified, Sn-rich solders will be presented. The
relationship between aluminum solute additions and the formation and growth
of common solder intermetallics and of β-Sn grains will be discussed. The
nucleant potency of CuxAly intermetallic particles formed within
aluminum-modified, Sn-rich solders will be considered in terms of the
particle size distribution, particle morphology, and orientation
relationship to associated intermetallic phases and to β-Sn grains.

*Support for this research is provided by the Department of Defense (DoD),
the Air Force Office of Scientific Research, and the National Defense
Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship (32 CFR 168a.).
Additional funding provided by the Iowa State University Research
Foundation, Purdue University, and Nihon-Superior through Ames Laboratory
contract no. DE-AC02-07CH11358.*

*Author Bio*:

Kathlene (Kate) Reeve graduated from Iowa State University in 2013 with a
bachelor’s degree in Materials Engineering and dual minors in Nuclear
Engineering and Economics. During her time at Iowa State, Kate was active
in multiple undergraduate research positions as an employee of Ames
Laboratory, including topics on: production of metamaterials, synthesis of
Al-Ni-Co permanent magnet alloys, and enhancements of lead-free solder
alloy systems. Kate also held multiple internships during her undergraduate
career with Honeywell Federal Manufacturing and Technologies located in
Kansas City, MO, USA, performing research and development on upcoming
nuclear weapons systems. Currently, Kate is a PhD candidate within the
School of Materials Engineering at Purdue University. Her current research
efforts focus on the manipulation and control of β-Sn nucleation and growth
during lead-free solder alloy solidification. This current research is
sponsored by the DoD through the National Defense Science and Engineering
Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship program, for which Kate is a current fellow,
and additional research funding is provided in collaboration with Ames
Laboratory and Nihon Superior (Osaka, Japan). Kate currently holds two
joint U.S. patents for her work on the rapid solidification of
aluminum-modified lead-free solder alloys and on high temperature, low
reflow solder paste assemblies. She has published results in the *Journal
of Electronic Materials*, and she has presented her work on multiple
occasions at annual materials science conferences. Kate expects to graduate
from Purdue University with her PhD in May of 2018, after which she plans
to pursue a career in academics, conducting research and teaching within
topics of materials science.